首页最新消息图书室推荐好书电子书下载联络我们

8.The Fox and the Crow (狐狸和乌鸦)

 

A Fox once saw a Crow fly off with a piece of cheese in its beak and settle on a branch of a tree.

一次,一只狐狸看见飞来一只嘴里叼着奶酪的乌鸦停在树枝上。

"That's for me, as I am a Fox," said Master Reynard,

狐狸自言自语道:“这个是归我的,因为我是狐狸”。

and he walked up to the foot of the tree.

于是他走到这棵树底下。

"Good-day, Mistress Crow," he cried. "How well you are looking to-day: how glossy your feathers; how bright your eye.

他喊道“早安!乌鸦夫人,你今天看起来很好,你的羽毛是如此的有光泽,你的眼睛也很明亮。

I feel sure your voice must surpass that of other birds, just as your figure does;

我相信你的歌喉也会超过所有的鸟,就像你的身材那么美妙。

let me hear but one song from you that I may greet you as the Queen of Birds."

让我听你唱一首歌,我要象向百鸟之后般的向你致敬”。

The Crow lifted up her head and began to caw her best,

乌鸦抬起了头,开始放声高歌,

but the moment she opened her mouth the piece of cheese fell to the ground, only to be snapped up by Master Fox.

但就在这一刻,她口中的奶酪掉在了地上, 狐狸马上一抢而去。

"That will do," said he. "That was all I wanted. In exchange for your cheese I will give you a piece of advice for the future.

狐狸说:“行了,这就是我想要的”。为了报答你的奶酪,我给你未来一句忠告。

"Do not trust flatterers."

不要相信阿谀奉承者
8.The Fox and the Crow (狐狸和乌鸦)