Gunsmoke: "Kitty" (II)
Go to this page and click on episode 26
to be obedient to
to take chances
to pick up
to move back
almost as though
to be ashamed
to be all set (= ready)
to get a surprise
sump'n ( = something)
it was snowin' a little
'Evenin' (= Good Evening)
song: "Buffalo Gals, Won't
You Come Out Tonight?"
What took you so long?
so's she. (sorry)
it would be best
This ain't right.
to hightail it out of ( = leave)
to think of
to find pleasure in
What are you having?
(= What would you like to order?)
I should've known better.
kerchief (= handkerchief)
been a long time since...
a nice mess of people
I've run into this before.
because a (= of) you
to hurt one's pride
it wasn't that
That made me real happy.
To figure life different
(= to have a different view of life)
to make s.o. uncomfortable
you can't look at it that way
gonna get hurt
let it go
They don't mean nothin'.
It was worth the chance.
a funny one (= a strange person)
to show s.o. up
(= to do something better than s.o.)
to beak out (a bottle of wine)
I'd be real pleased.
Listening comprehension questions:
Why did Kitty feel uneasy going with Dillon even before they arrived at the
2. How did Dillon seem to feel about Kitty?
3. What was the first sign that Kitty wasn't very welcome at the dance?
4. What does "to call a dance" mean?
5. Why was Kitty delayed when she went to check her cloak?
6. What did Doc invite Dillon to do?
7. Why did Doc not want Mrs. Magnesia to know what he was doing?
8. Why did Mrs. Sprinkle ask her husband to stop serving the punch?
9. What was the man suggesting who called out "What do you say, Kitty?"
10. What's a "drifter"?
11. Why did Dillon say he was taking off his badge?
12. After Dillon went to console Kitty at the Texas Trail, he first blamed himelf, then the people at the dance; then Kitty blamed herself. What do you think was the source of the problem?
13. What does Dillon mean by "prayer-spouting"?
14. Why did Kitty think Dillon's "pride" might have been hurt?
15. Why was there a difference between people's attitude toward Kitty when they saw her on the street and when they saw her at the dance?
16. In what area did Dillon think Kitty much better than the other women at the dance?
To part I