Introduction to Computer Networks
There will be 3 essay assignments.
You get to choose a topic from a given topic selection.
The idea is to get you to dig in a little further on any of the
subjects discussed in class and search for additional
content from the Web afterwards.
Formulate your findings and thoughts and list the
references (book chapters, websites, magazines, etc.)
in a 3-page double-spaced 11-pt-fonted write-up.
There'll be no late assignments accepted.
You'll be graded mainly on the originality.
Technical correctness is minor.
To help you identify an interesting and yet relevant
topic, here is the
topic page that provides a comprehensive list of
sample topics. You may select one from the sample
topics. You may also select one that is not in the
list but please confirm the topic with Polly. And keep in mind: Any online search engine or encyclopedia will be your good friends.
Just for your amusement, some of the interesting essays from the previous year: The Collection
- Inside the submitted file:
please make sure you state the followings at the beginning
of the file to be submitted.
- Team #
- name (in Chinese)
- student ID
- school years
- Naming the file to submit:
Please follow the this naming convention for the files
you will submit:
essay#-team#-mmdd-hhmm.(whatever format you chose to use).
- (essay#): for essay #1, just say 'e1'
- (team#): your team number
- (mmdd): the date of this submission. 2 digits for the month. 2 digits
for the day. For example September 3 will be 0903. Please add a
0 in case the month or day is a single digit number.
- (hhmm): the approximate time of this submission. 2 digits for the hour in
24 hour scale. 2 digits for the minute. For example 4:45 am will be 0445 and
4:03 pm will be 1603. Please add a 0 in case the hour or minute is a single
- a complete example: e1-2-1014-1843.pdf
- Uploading the file via sftp:
please follow the following instructions.
- FTP to: 140 dot 112 dot 42 dot 161 at port 22
- As user: introCN password: introCNwed6
- Go to the corresponding 'EA#' directory
- Put the file you need to submit in this directory
- Close the sftp connection
- Submiting a better copy:
simply follow the instruction above with the modified date and time and then
upload. The TA/instructor will grade the latest version.