Living with Alcoholism
Go to this page:
and choose the last video under "Exclusive Series":
Living with alcoholism (Part I)
to live with
as many as
wrote to me to say
can't stop drinking
a living nightmare
he would abuse my Mom
like he abuses alcohol
till there's hardly anything left
the worst part
to stop s.o. from (verb)ing
to turn their pain inward
that they can go talk to
to focus on
for as long as he can remember
It's kind of been on and off
to deal with s.o.
to be scarred by
to get worse
wouldn't know what he was up to
big sense of fear
they absolutely do not "get" it
to inflict damage
and not be negatively affected
what it was doing to
to shield s.o. from
as he got older
to take s.o. to
to start to show up "loaded"
( = drunk)
to not be really ever there
to miss out on
everything I wanted
it was kind of
to do s.t. to s.o.
why can I not change it
it's not until
was just totally powerless over the stuff,
with the help of
to be ashamed of
to be identified
on my days off
I mean, it's all I was doing,
was getting drunk
emotionally "gone" for my family
I mean, I missed a lot of time with Molly
with my drinking
to be left on their own
to deal with
teens tend to blame themselves for...
it was my fault
you want to put a blame on it
he's got to be doing this for a reason
so why not let it be me?
it is not about you, it's about...
they no more want...than you want it for them
the addiction has them by the throat
I just would like to wrap my arms around
who ever, ever
feel shame, embarrassment, blame
make good decisions for yourself
you need to focus on that
it's understood that
to be influenced by
to grab hold of
to find out
to take a quiz
to click on
coming up next...
Listening comprehension questions:
1. How many young people in the U.S. have at least one alcoholic parent?
2. What did Amanda think was the worst part of having an alcoholic parent?
3. What does Travis not have that makes his mother's alcoholism even harder for him to deal with?
4. What effect did Molly's father's alcoholism have on her?
5. How much do many alcoholic parents understand about how their alcoholism affects their children?
6. How did Travis's mother sometimes rationalize her alcoholism, and what did she not realize?
7. How did Travis describe his mother when she wasn't drunk?
8. Why do teens sometimes blame themselves for their parents' drinking?
9. Why don't alcoholic parents simply stop drinking when they realize how their drinking is harming their children?
10. What, does Janet Choi say, will be the topic of Part II of the series?
11. Describe how Alcoholics Anonymous tries to help people who have problems with alcohol.
12. Do you have any experience with alcoholism that you are willing to share? Describe it briefly, and how the alcoholic's family dealt with the problem.