National Public Radio: Weekend Edition
A Teen-Aged Marine Falls in Iraq
by Sarah Richards
Sunday, March 6, 2005
corporal (Lance Cpl.): rank/grade
between private first class and corporal
in the US Marines
to stretch into the distance
to pressure s.o. into
to follow a particular path
to be born a G.I. Joe
G.I.: Government Issue; a common solider
Mobile Army Surgical Hospital
to climb in
Splat Zone (in Milford)
all times of the night
pretty much anything
to see how far
to be willing to take s.t.
Cape Henlopen High School
to be slightly built
to be concerned about
to leave for
Listening comprehension questions:
1. What were some of the early signs that Clifton would end up enlisting in the military?
2. How does Clifton's friend Aaron Moore describe him?
3. How does Clifton's former high school teacher Susan Frederick describe Clifton?
4. What does the "19 inches" that Frederick mentions refer to, and why did she mention it?
5. Based on their tone of voice and what they say, how do Clifton's parents seem to have taken (reacted to) the death of their son?
6. How did Clifton react to news that his grandfather had suffered a heart attack?
7. How did Clifton die?
8. How did some people try to comfort Clifton's mother, and how did she respond?
9. In what cemetery in what state was Clifton buried, and where did he ask not to be buried?
10. What message do you think the reporter was trying to get across in this feature?