All Things Considered: World
Two Marathons a Day in the Sahara
Three long-distance runners have just completed a three-month
run across the Sahara Desert.
February 23, 2007
to audio file on this
Remember to practice
reading and answering the questions aloud before class!!!
documentary film crew
to raise money for
to keep one going
off the charts
to maintain one's weight
to level off
more than one way
to pass through
to be forced to
for up to...at a time
wherever we could
to stay healthy
to suffer from
near the finish
to pick up the pace
stretch of territory
as...as you can imagine
never even came close to
to head back
a big basketball fan
to make it home for
to lay (lie) around
to be at an age where
to have a vision in one's mind
to be thrilled to be...
Listening comprehension and thought questions:
1. What are the names and nationalities of the participants
in this marathon?
2. What was your personal reaction, if any, to the news of
Kevin Lin's feat and return to Taiwan?
3. Which African countries did the runners cross?
4. What was one of the main purposes of this marathon?
5. For each of the three participants, use Google to find
one written news report on the Internet (i.e. find a total of three news reports)
that features him and his feat. Give the name of the newspaper or news source
and the date of publication.
6. Can you find any source that features all three participants
in a balanced way? If so, give the name of the newspaper or news source and
the date of publication, and include a printout of the report with this assignment.
7. What observations do you make on how news is reported,
and on human nature regarding national and international news and one's home
country, based on this report and exercise?