Interview with Michelle Pfeiffer
on her role in the movie "I am Sam"
Click below to access video:
to have moments
The Story of Us
to circle an idea
to go all the way
to soften the edges
to push the envelope
to put oneself in a position
to pull it back a few notches
to be up against s.t.
another nine rounds
to pick up
putting together the pieces
to give 150 percent
on the set
a typical day
a part of the cast
everybody had been cast
Listening comprehension questions:
1. What is the core question being asked by the male lawyer at the beginning of the interview?
2. What did Lucy say to her father just before she yelled, "Why don't you write that down?"
3. What attracted Michelle Pfeiffer to this role?
4. Where did the idea for the movie come from?
5. What does the playwright think the film is a metaphor of?
6. What was Michelle Pfeiffer's biggest challenge in making this movie?
7. What does it mean "to push the envelope"? "To pull it back a few notches"?
8. How do Michelle and Jessie feel about Sean Penn as an actor?
9. How did Sean Penn learn to play his character?
10. What does Jessie Nelson mean by "He has great chivalry as an actor"?
11. Describe Dakota Fanning, the girl who plays Lucy, both on and off-screen.
12. What do you think about Lucy's view toward mentally disabled people, and what is your own view?
13. Do you think that Sam, the mentally disabled father with the intelligence of a seven-year-old, should have been given custody of his daughter?
Video chosen and exercise designed by Sharon Chang ±iÅt¸©