Interview with Jacqueline Marcell
author of: Elder Rageortake My Father...Please!
How To Survive Caring For Aging Parents (II)
Visit the author's site at: http://www.elderrage.com/
Link to Interview: http://talktotara.com/jacqueline_marcell.ram
If this link doesn't work, click here.
Copyright © 1998-2002 TalktoTara.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
to take a pill
to weed out
to get evaluated
in which case
behavior modification guidelines
so darn difficult
to scream and yell
to throw things
to go through
to call them nasty names
to catch more flies with honey than vinegar
to pick up
power and control
I don't know what I was thinkin'
to get attention
to feel passionate
to have a mission
to burn through
to turn age 65
to listen to the doctor
to be in trouble
to hit s.o. over the head
clotted (clogged) arteries
board and care
to get s.t. in place
to go to your grave
good for you
run over by a herd of elephants
to give up
you can possibly imagine
to be out of the house
clink, clink, clink
Division of Motor Vehicles ºÊ²z³B
to arrange for
limo = limousine
to go through s.t.
to present themselves
to look at s.o. sideways
to reach out to
to vote for
to take people like
to hit s.o. personally
to make a huge difference
to do well
to turn s.t. around
Listening comprehension questions:
1. Some people who are diagnosed with Alzheimer's actually suffer from what two other problems?
2. How did the doctor get the author's father's problems under control?
3. The author 'went through' 40 what in one year?
4. What was one way the author used to get her father to stop some of his bad behaviors? What does this saying mean: 'You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar'?
5. Fill in the blanks for these names of celebrities who have endorsed Marcell's book: Regis _________, ___________ Downs, Steve ____________, __________ Asner, Pam ____________, ____________ Bisset
6. The Medicaid system will allow what and not allow what?
7. What does the author mean by 'I don't think so.' in the particular tone of voice she uses?
8. What problem will the generation after the baby boomer generation have?
9. What happened to the marriages of many of the baby boomers?
10. Who is 'Ariana'?
11. What is it very important to buy in order to prepare for dementia?
12. What is the accident rate for seniors who drive?
13. The author's father did not want to give up driving. How did he try to maintain his right to drive a car?
14. What did the author say would have been the 'right way' to stop an elderly loved one from driving?
15. How can elderly people get around when they can't drive?
16. What is a 'support group' and what is its function?
17. What are some of the things that Jacqueline does now?
18. Why would people have to drive to Canada for medications?
19. What kind of changes does the author think need to be made?
20. What does it often take for the government to make changes?
21. What does this part of the title mean: 'Take my father - please!'?