CNN International: Captain Underpants Ban
Source page: http://edition.cnn.com/
Local audio capture file: https://ceiba.ntu.edu.tw/course/212e7c/CNN_dress_code.wma
to give s.o. an ultimatum
nothing to do with s.t.
to give s.o. choices
on their own
to put on
to bring with one
to be well within one's bounds
to be excused from
to miss class
1. Who and what is "Captain Underpants"?
2. Why did the girls in question dress the way they did on this occasion?
3. What was found offensive about the way the girls were dressed?
4. What arguments did the girls offer in their own defense?
5. Why did one of the girls interviewed bring the issue of "race" into the discussion?
6. Describe the miscommunication that seems to have taken place between the girls and the school administration, or the points on which the two sides offered different versions of what happened.
7. What does it mean to be "suspended" from school? What would an equivalent be in the Taiwan high school education system?
8. How would you have handled this situation had you been principal of this school on this occasion?
9. What would you have done if it had been classmates and good friends of yours who had done what these girls had done?
10. How do you account for the popularity and supposed "acceptability" of the children's book series, and the "unacceptability" of what the girls in this report did?