CBS News Video: Bagpipe Student Drowns Out Critics
Nick Hudson Is The Only U.S. College Bagpipe Major, And Proud Of It
Sept. 22, 2006
Audio capture (local)
Columbia Broadcasting System
Carnegie Mellon University
side by side
a whole other + N
such is the life of...
sophomore: second year university student
one of the few to...
to say s.t. with a straight face
needless to say
could care less
to be determined to V
to stick with s.t.
to be unable to take s.t.
1. Where is Carnegie Mellon University?
2. a. What is a more correct version of the expression used in the report "a whole nother building"? b. How can you explain the existence of this "incorrect" but fairly common form?
3. a. Why did the reporter suggest someone who majors in bagpipe music performance might be "lazy"? b. How does Nick counter the reporter's comment?
4. Why does the reporter say it is important for a bagpipe major to be "confident"?
5. How do others generally seem to feel about bagpipe music? Describe two ways these feelings are expressed in the video.
6. a. What are your feelings about bagpipe music? b. What can you compare it to in traditional Chinese music in terms of how it sounds?