BBC: Vatican 'may relax condoms rule'
Local audio file
just a few days later
for there to be signs of
in a fundamental area of
strict ban on
stricken by AIDS
a guard against
citing Uganda as
to have some success
to practice a policy
in spite of
"people on the ground"
to set out a policy
to create life
even as he visited
to be routinely ignored
one's intention in using
disease and death
creation of new life
Listening comprehension questions:
1. a. What language is this in: pater et filius...? b. What does it mean? c. Why is this language being used?
2. According to this video report, what change seems imminent in Roman Catholic policy?
3. a. How long has the current rule been in effect? b. Under which papacy was it first instituted?
4. What was the reason for the ban?
5. What have been some of the consequences of the ban?
6. Use the Internet to find out a. about how many Catholics there are worldwide; b. which ten countries have the largest numbers of Roman Catholics.
7. Why does the Catholic church now seem willing to reconsider the current policy?
8. What are your thoughts on how the Catholic church has handled this issue?