BBC: Low-caste Hindus hold mass conversions
Reported by Damian Grammaticas in Delhi
14 October 2006
Go to this page:
and click on the link under VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS in the upper right-hand corner
You may read the text on this page for background on this story
to be aimed at
to be entitled to
to be snatched away
to change religion
to be planned for
1. In what part of India is the city of Nagpur?
2. a. Who are the Dalits? b. What kinds of work have they traditionally done? c. About how many of them are there in India?
3. What seems to be the main reason for the religious conversions?
4. Who opposes the religious conversions of the Dalits, and why would anybody oppose such a thing?
5. What was burned and why?
6. What is planned for the coming weeks?
7. Do the conversions seem to be more religious or political and social in nature? Explain.
8. Read through the related article to answer this question: What other religion are many Dalits now embracing besides Christianity?