The Voices of Innovation
Program #3 September 4, 2002: Artificial Hand
and Program #13 September 18, 2002: Zipper
To download the MP3 file to your computer,
right-click on the link, click on 'Save target as',
then choose a file name and location on your disk
to be convinced
muscles and tendons
(person who participates in an experiment)
at one point
"Mary Had a Little Lamb"
to proceed to V
the latest version of
1. What is the goal of the research project described in this report?
2. What is the 'phantom limb phenomenon'?
3. How does an amputee control the device?
4. What was one amputee able to do by the aid of this device?
5. How can amputees control the newest version of the device?
it's said that
to slide open
to come up with
to take decades to get to
to come on the scene
to the point where
out of doors
to catch on
1. What was the original motivation that spurred the invention of the zipper?
2. What was wrong with the original design?
3. How long did it take to refine and improve the original design?
4. What was the first use for the zipper, and what was this item first named?
5. What did the word 'zipper' originally refer to, and why did its meaning change?