(1) Friendly Fungus Amongus
Click here to listen:
friend or foe?
to be carried by
to lodge in
if it weren't for...wouldn't
Office of the Provost
1. a. Explain the title. Is "amongus" a word? Why is it written and pronounced this way in this broadcast? b. What is the difference between fungus and fungi?
2. What is heartwood?
3. How are spores different from seeds? (Use the Internet to look for information.) What would be good keywords to do a Google search on this question?
4. People might expect shelf fungus to be mainly harmful to trees. List three good things it can potentially do for an older tree.
5. Is shelf fungus always good for a tree? Give an example to support your answer.
I Hear Your
a study out of Japan
to be anything but
hard and fast
subjects of a study
Osaka University Medical School
PET scan 檢驗胴體(尤其是腦部新陳代謝的)斷層掃描
to allow doctors
in a nonsense way
1. What is a PET scanner used for?
2. What is the auditory cortex and what is special about it?
3. Explain why meaningless hand movements and sign language are processed in different parts of the brain of a person who knows sign language.