Moment of Science VII:
(1) Blindness and Better Hearing and (2) Brain in Love
is your first listening assignment of the semester. Click here
for suggestions on how to go about doing the listening assignments.
Blindness and Better Hearing
Audio link to program:
Downloadable link (.rm file; right-click, choose 另存新檔, and download):
"Ray": Ray Charles
to convert to
to have a long way to go in + Ving
to take over for
ventral tegmental area
to be associated with
to make a distinction between
to be mad about s.o.
to register s.t. as
Listening comprehension questions:
1. Why is a rose not such a suitable metaphor for love in its early stages? What kinds of metaphors might be more appropriate? (Note pronunciation of appropriate!)
2. What is a cliché? Give two examples each of clichés in both English and Chinese. This page might help with the English: http://www.vistacraft.com/bbowman/embedded/health/cliche.htm
3. When are the ventral tegmental area of the brain and caudate nucleus active?
4. How do scientists learn which areas of the brain are active during what kinds of body events?
5. What does physical attractiveness have to do with the feeling of being in love?