A Moment of Science (III)
For each of
the following two exercises, (1) read the vocabulary and questions, (2) link
and listen to the audio file, and (3) answer the questions.
(1) Smells and Colors
to do with: to be related to
to knock s.o. out
kinda: 'kind of', somewhat, a bit
1.Why was Yael a little afraid to help Don with his demonstration at first?
2. What two things did Don ask Yael to do at the same time?
3. What was the most important difference in the second thing that Don asked Yael to do?
4. Why did Yael say, "So what?"
5. What practical use of this data did Don point out?
6. Give an example of this phenomenon from your personal experience.
(2) The Color of the Universe
were anything but
Johns Hopkins University
some of which
to break down into
to construct"cosmic spectrum"
in proportion to
it turned out that
to cover up
1. Why is Don complaining about the color of the studio?
2. What state is Johns Hopkins University in?
3. Describe the kind of data scientists collected for this study.
4. How did they further process these data to come to the conclusion they did?
5. Why do you think Don calls beige 'nondescript'?
6. Explain Yael's quip (joke): "At least interior decorators are happy."
Choose more "A Moment of Science" programs from the following index for more listening practice: