Taiwan University was founded in 1928 under the name of "Taihaku Imperial
University" by the Japanese Government.
Upon the restoration of Taiwan to China after the Second World War, the
Chinese Government took over Taihaku Imperial University and renamed it as
"National Taiwan University" on November 15, 1945.
the early years of Taihaku Imperial University, the University maintained a
Department of Forestry under the College of Agriculture. In 1934, the Department
of Forestry was moved to Taichung and reorganized into Tacking College of
Agriculture and Forestry, the predecessor of National ChungHsing University. In
1947, the Department of Forestry was re-opened in the National Taiwan University
upon the approval of the government and the University authority.
first few years after the restoration, this Department was in short of office
space, equipments, books, etc. In 1949, a research and classroom-oriented
building was built for this department on campus. On July 1, 1949, the First
Demonstration Forest of the Taiwan Provincial Government was transferred to the
University and known as the Experimental Forest of National Taiwan University.
In 1958, a 3-story forestry building was constructed, which initiated the
expansion stage of this Department. The facilities of the Department and quality
of faculty members have upgraded substantially and reached to the level for
establishing a graduate program. In 1964, the master degree was initiated. The
graduate program was emphasized on Silviculture, Forest Management, Forest
Products and Forest Botany, and the undergraduate was subdivided into this four
divisions in 1967. In 1974, the Ph.D. program was added , the
divisions was renamed as
Resource Conservation in 1988 , and the
was renamed as Resource Management in 1991. In response to the global trend of
forestry education and environmental conservation, the department reformed into
¡§School of Forestry and Resource Conservation¡¨ in 2003 and divided the program
into four fields as Forest Biology, Forest Environment, Biological Materials,
and Forest Conservation and Management.
, theForest Botany
divisions was renamed as
Resource Conservation in 1988
, and theForest Management
was renamed as Resource Management in 1991. In response to the global trend of forestry education and environmental conservation, the department reformed into ¡§School of Forestry and Resource Conservation¡¨ in 2003 and divided the program into four fields as Forest Biology, Forest Environment, Biological Materials, and Forest Conservation and Management.
Due to the efforts of our faculties and staffs, the Department has grown steadily since its establishment 50 years ago. Today, it is ranked as the finest forestry program in the nation. Up to June 2006, 2273 Bachelor Degrees, 966 Master Degrees and 101 Ph.D. Degrees were awarded. The present enrollments are: 36 graduate students on Ph.D. program, 120 students on MS program, and 333 undergraduate students. With the efforts of our faculty members and staffs in the past, the School of Forestry and Resource Conservation has grown steadily since its establishment. Today, the school is ranked as the finest forestry program in Taiwan.
following faculty members have served as chairs of this department:
(From August, 1947 to October, 1948)
Chu, H. F.
(From November, 1948 to July, 1954)
(From August, 1954 to July, 1955)
(From August, 1955 to July, 1959)
(From August, 1959 to July, 1972)
(From August, 1972 to July, 1978)
(From August, 1978 to July, 1980)
D. C. (From August, 1980 to July, 1986)
S. Y. (From August, 1986 to July, 1992)
(From August, 1992 to July, 1995)
Y. N. (From August, 1995 to July, 1998)
Chen, H. H. (From August, 1998 to July, 2001)
Zheng, C. L. (From August, 2001 to July, 2004)
Kuo, S.R. (From August, 2004 to July, 2007)
Lo, H.C. (From August, 2007 to present)